Nothing captures the essence of autumn like the scent of cinnamon! Who doesn’t love a nice warm chai latte on a chilly day? And, the fall season is an ideal time for reflecting on the benefits of cinnamon essential oil and what it can do for the skin and overall wellness.
So, let’s take a moment to chat about it now!
Where Does Cinnamon Essential Oil Come From?
Cinnamon oil can be extracted from the bark and the leaves of the cinnamon tree. Predominantly, the oil comes from what’s referred to as “true” cinnamon trees (the Cinnamomum verum species), also known as Ceylon cinnamon, which primarily grows in Sri Lanka and India.
Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil
Oil from cinnamon’s leaves embodies a spicy, musky scent and has a light-yellow hue. Generally, extraction happens through steam distillation of the cinnamon plant’s leaves after they’ve been dried for several days.
Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
This oil is obtained by peeling or chipping off the bark and then distilling it with steam or carbon dioxide. Cinnamon bark oil has a darker, brownish color and a spicy, woodsy scent. It has a higher potency than cinnamon leaf oil.
Terpenes in Cinnamon
Like all plants, cinnamon has compounds called terpenes that influence its scent and therapeutic characteristics.
Two dominant terpenes in cinnamon essential oil include:
- Cinnamaldehyde – This terpene creates cinnamon’s characteristic warming, comforting aroma. It also gives the essential oil anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties.
- Cinnamyl Acetate – This circulation-promoting terpene helps ensure that the body receives sufficient oxygen and nutrients from head to toe.
Cinnamon also contains the phenol eugenol, which has antiseptic and analgesic properties.
Cinnamon Essential Oil Benefits
Cinnamon essential oil is used in aromatherapy, topically applied to the skin (either mixed with a carrier oil or in a skincare product), and taken orally.
Its antibacterial, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial characteristics benefit the skin in various ways.
- Reduces puffiness and redness due to inflammation
- Has antiseptic effects that help fight bacteria that cause acne and other skin infections
- Improves skin tone and helps blemishes heal as it increases blood flow
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Slows the signs of aging
Beyond the skin, this aromatic essential oil offers other potential health advantages, too.
- Promotes stress relief
- Improves mental focus
- Helps to reduce muscular and joint aches, pains, and stiffness
- Eases cold and flu symptoms
- Improves mood, reduces feelings of anxiety and depression
- Increases attention span and memory retention
- Improves libido
- Boosts immunity
- Improves digestion and metabolic function
Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil in Our Products
Several Makes Scents Natural Spa Line products feature cinnamon leaf oil — which has more of the antioxidant phenol eugenol in it than does cinnamon bark oil — in their ingredients.
- Chai to Resist Body Scrub – Made with certified organic ingredients, including sugar, black tea, sunflower seed, and safflower oil to exfoliate and renew dull, dry skin. In addition to cinnamon, it also contains clove essential oil to support skin cell renewal.
- Chai to Resist Body Butter – Formulated with soothing cocoa butter, coconut oil, and sunflower seed oil along with essential oils of cinnamon, clove, rosemary, lemon, and eucalyptus. This intensely moisturizing butter nourishes and fights skin-damaging free radicals.
- Spiced Orange Cider Scrub – Gently exfoliates with organic sugar and infused with cinnamon, cardamom, and orange oils. This scrub detoxifies, supports collagen production, and improves circulation.
- Spiced Orange Cider Body Butter – Hydrates skin with rich organic sunflower seed oil, cocoa butter, and coconut oil. With essential oils of cinnamon, cardamom, and orange, it promotes circulation and soothes dryness.
Ready to “Spice” Up Your Fall Skincare Regimen?
When shopping for body products to keep your skin radiant and feeling its best all fall and winter long, look for those with pure essential oils and no parabens, sulfates, harsh chemicals, or artificial anything.
Also, consider the integrity of the company that makes the products, because what you buy can make a difference not only for your skin’s health but also for the planet!
Visit our online store now (free shipping on online orders over $75!), and feel free to reach out to us if you have questions about any of our products.