In a Tangle About Natural Shampoo?
Natural and eco-friendly products are becoming increasingly popular among today’s health and environmentally conscientious shoppers. Good health is the ultimate goal of many consumers but can using natural products really make a difference?
Take for instance, shampoo. We all use it a few times a week, if not daily, but is it really harmful to our health? Well, consider three common ingredients found in most shampoo found on the shelves of our local grocery
and drug stores and what they actually consist of:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfates (SLS): SLS is a cheap foaming agent which dries and irritates the skin and actually mimics the hormone oestrogen which can cause numerous hormone imbalances, including infertility along with breast cancer. SLS is also a known carcinogen according to The American College of Toxicology.
- Propylene Glycol (aka Antifreeze): Propylene Glycol’s main job is to act as a carrier or a substance that helps other ingredients, including harmful chemicals, absorb into inner layers of the skin and even the bloodstream. According to the Environmental Working Group, Propylene Glycol is categorized as a “moderate” health issue. It has been shown to be linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive issues, allergies/immunotoxicity, neurotoxicity and endocrine disruption.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) or Triethanolamine (TEA): DEA and TEA are used in personal care products to produce a smooth consistency or a good lather. Skin Deep, a cosmetic safety database put together by the Environmental Working Group, rates DEA and TEA as an 8 out of 10, classifying it as highly hazardous. Both DEA and TEA are seemingly harmless when alone, but when combined with other ingredients in lotions, shampoos, etc, they produce nitrosodiethanolamine, which is a known carcinogen linked to stomach, bladder, and intestinal cancers.
Benefits of Natural Shampoo & Body Products
Just considering these three harmful ingredients is enough to steer us in the direction of using natural shampoo and body products. But what are the true benefits of using natural products? Natural shampoo contain beneficial plant and herbal extracts which provide a number of positive results for the hair and scalp. You can enjoy these natural benefits and maintain healthy hair without having to put your body at risk by exposing it to harmful chemicals. Consider the natural benefits:
- Promotes new hair growth by naturally stimulating the hair follicles
- Infuses natural oils, minerals, and herbal extracts into hair follicles to maintain moisture and improving the overall condition of the hair and scalp
- Because it contains all natural ingredients it is a non-allergenic product which makes it suitable for all skin types including sensitive and allergy prone skin
- Natural shampoos feature a more natural and mild aroma
- Natural shampoos are environmentally friendly as they contain bio-degradable materials rather than harsh chemicals
In all honesty, natural hair products may take some time to get used to. There is often a short period of time where your hair may appear dull or flat; however, consider what your hair has been bathed in for many years. The “squeaky clean” feel your hair has been exposed to has left your hair stripped of all the healthy oils it needs to produce soft, shiny, full-bodied hair. So be patient as your unhealthy, damaged trusses becomes radiant, supple and healthy once again.
For more information on natural skin care products, please visit our website at https://makesscentsspaline.com
Yes most definitly! Have you tried one of our shampoos? The direct link is here: https://makesscentsspaline.com/product-category/shampoo/. Thanks again and let us know if you have any questions! ~ Heather
Thank you for your site!
I find that many “natural” shampoos cause tangles in my hair that make it difficult to shampoo and rinse. Can you please recommend a shampoo that will not do that? (I have naturally curly hair, by the way.)
I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Thank yo so much.