Oatmeal (Avena sativa) has been used for thousands of years to soften skin and soothe stubborn irritations like eczema. Historical records indicate civilizations as far back as 2000 B.C. in Egypt used oats for personal care and skin conditions.
It turns out those ancient Egyptians were on to something! Today, oatmeal remains a staple in skin care, and one of the most popular ways to enjoy its skin-nurturing advantages is through baths with colloidal oatmeal (oatmeal ground into a fine powder).
Oatmeal Benefits for Skin
Why is oatmeal good for your skin? Oats have properties that help calm sensitive or irritated skin.
These qualities make oatmeal known for helping to:
- Calm itchy, inflamed skin (including easing the discomfort of eczema and psoriasis)
- Moisturize skin
- Improve the skin barrier’s function (essential for preventing moisture loss and protecting the body from harmful elements, such as environmental irritants, pollutants, allergens, etc.)
Why Bathe in Oatmeal?
An oatmeal bath is more beneficial than using an oatmeal lotion on dry skin. Soaking in a bath results in better absorption because it swells the skin’s surface area, allowing ingredients like oatmeal to penetrate more easily.
How to Make Your Own Oatmeal Bath
Making a DIY oatmeal bath at home is pretty easy. You only need your bathtub, tepid water, and a cup of oatmeal (regular rolled oats, instant, or quick will do!).
- Grind your oats into a fine powder. (Use a coffee grinder, blender, or food processor).
- Run tepid water into your bathtub. (Why lukewarm water? Hot water can irritate and inflame already sensitive skin.)
- Pour the ground oats into the tub slowly while running your water.
- Stir the mixture with your hands until the water becomes creamy-ish and white.
- Soak in your oatmeal bath for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After leaving the bath, pat yourself dry with a towel.
Get Even More from an Oatmeal Bath
In an oatmeal bath, therapeutic salts, like Epsom and Israeli Dead Sea salts, provide even more benefits than a bath with oatmeal alone. They enhance the anti-inflammatory effects of oatmeal and help draw out impurities and toxins; relieve sore muscles; and slough away dead, dull skin cells.
You deserve some quality tub time! Order our Soothing Bath Infusion, made with just six (all natural) ingredients! It has the comforting aroma of organic vanilla and all the benefits of pure oatmeal + Epsom and Israeli Dead Sea salts.